Tuesday, February 16, 2016

One-to-One Bible Reading Evangelism

At the very beginning of last semester, we went on a beach retreat and I gave out the book One to One Bible Reading by David Helm. This short book is a helpful resource and example of how to do
evangelism and discipleship one to one (or in a small group) just going through a book of the Bible together. I highly recommend that book (a few are available in the fellowship hall).

I want to bring the idea back up because I don't want it to slip out of our view. It is so easy to get busy (especially as mid-terms approach) and to assume we "don't have time" to approach a classmate or coworker about whether they would be interested in meeting up to read and talk about the Bible. While we are all busy, I don't think we are too busy to do this. We can't be. The gospel is of first importance (1 Corinthians 15).

So, let me encourage you to learn how to study the bible with another person (maybe practice with a friend from church - it will be an edifying and equipping time). Then ask God to give you one friend to invite to meet up with you to read and learn about God from the Bible. I think you will be surprised that many of them know little about the Bible and will want to at least look into it.

Here is an article about a young woman who has been doing this type evangelism. Also, I would be glad to meet up with you and help you think about how to be grow in this area.

No comments:

Post a Comment