Monday, April 9, 2012

He Became a Curse so We Might Be Blessed

This past Sunday, I spoke on Galatians 3:13-14:

Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for us—for it is written, “Cursed is everyone who is hanged on a tree”— so that in Christ Jesus the blessing of Abraham might come to the Gentiles, so that we might receive the promised Spirit through faith.

This passage is key as we seek to understand what Jesus was doing on that cross. Many people say different things. "He was giving an example of how to love our enemies...He was expressing how much he loves us..."  While these things may be true, we must not miss the main thing that Jesus was doing on the cross.  The cross (and resurrection) answers the question "How can the holy, love of God come to unholy and unlovely man?"  The answer is Jesus death on the cross is nothing less than the Son of God, the God-man, bearing God’s own wrath and curse in the place of sinful man so that, by faith in him, we receive the blessing of God.  We could certainly say more than that.  But we could never say less.

He became the curse so that we receive the blessing. He experienced God-forsakenness so that we might have the presence of God- his face shinning upon us (Num. 6:24-26) and his Spirit in us (Gal. 3:14). What a glorious exchange, all my sin for his grace.

Christ was all anguish that I might be all joy
Cast off that I might be brought in,
Trodden down as an enemy that I might be welcomed as a friend
Surrendered to hell’s worst that I might attain heaven’s best,
Stripped that I might be clothed
Wounded that I might be healed
Athirst that I might drink
Tormented that I might be comforted
Made a shame that I might inherit glory
Entered darkness that I might have eternal light ….
…O Father, who spared not thine only Son that thou mightest spare me
All this transfer thy love designed and accomplished;
Help me to adore thee by lips and life... ("Love Lustres at Calvary" in The Valley of Vision)

No comments:

Post a Comment