Monday, April 23, 2012

Grow in Godliness This Summer

Another summer is upon us. I hope that those of you who are students realize what a gift from God this is to you. I know that everything doesn't "stop" for you in the summer. Most will have jobs and maybe even summer classes. But, there is a real sense in which you have more time than usual. I plead with you not to waste it. God gives us good gifts, but he also calls us to account for the use of those gifts. So, use this gift for the glory of God.

Specifically, use it to spend focused time and energy seeking to grow in godliness. Ultimately, God's Spirit does this work in us, but it is not apart from our responsibility to pursue such growth. I get this from passages like Philippians 2:12-13 which says,
Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, so now, not only as in my presence but much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure.
We are called to "obey" and "work out" (not for) our own salvation. But it is ultimately "God who works in you."  

This is my challenge to you for this summer. Perhaps you are thinking, "Great! I'd love to. But How?" In the next few posts I will provide some specific directions to help you not waste this summer.  Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment