Monday, March 21, 2011

Perseverance: A Comfort

The doctrine of perseverance not only provides a warning to us, it also provides a comfort.  The comfort is for those who are truly saved and is found in the promise "that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Christ Jesus" (Philippians 1:6).  God began this work of my salvation, and he will complete it.  That is a promise.  The person who has been truly converted and made into a child of God will not be cast out of the Father's house.

In other words, my salvation is not dependent upon me, my goodness, or the strength of my faith.  It isn't more or less secure based on how good I did today or how faithful I was at reading my Bible yesterday.  It is based on God, the righteousness of Christ, and his powerful hold on me (see Romans 8:31-39 and John 10:27-29).  It is based on God, his nature, and his unchanging faithfulness to his promises.  He promises to save those who truly repent and believe in Jesus as the only means of salvation.  Since he does not lie and does not change in relation to his promises, this hope is secure for believers (Numbers 23:19). 
 
So, when you fail and sin, remember that your salvation is secure because of the righteousness of Christ and the promise of God.  Speaking of genuine Christians, the First London Confession of the Baptists written in 1646 says, "Though many storms and floods arise, and beat against them, yet they shall never be able to take them off that foundation and rock, which by faith they are fastened upon.”

No comments:

Post a Comment