Friday, January 7, 2011

Reflecting on the Sermon: 1/2/11

The text was Romans 8:28-30.  Rod preached on the two limitations to Romans 8:28 (God causes all things to work together for the good....).  The limitations were: 1. It is true for those that love God, 2. It is for those that are called by God. 

As he reflected on the first point he mentioned that God working all things together for good only applies to those that love God, not to those that just know about God.  You can know tons of theology, but not love God (ie. not be a Christian).  Rod went on to provide some biblical questions to ask yourself to see if you really love God. 
  1. Do you want to know God?
  2. Do you desire what God desires, love what he loves? Do you have a zeal for God's glory?
  3. Do you hate what God hates (ie. evil, sin, worldliness see 1 John)?
  4. Do you love other believers (see 1 John)?
  5. Do you keep God's commands (see John 14:21)?
The second point (God calls us) is what makes it possible for us to have this kind of love for God.  On my own I would not love God.  I am thankful for the humbling truth that God called me and loved me first so that I might love him and have the promise that he is working all things together for my good.

No comments:

Post a Comment