Thursday, October 7, 2010

"Boasting" by Lecrae

One of my secrets is about to be exposed... I like Christian hip hop.  Not just anything labeled Christian hip hop.  Specifically, I like Flame, Lecrae, and a few others.  Why?  Their lyrics are some of the most solid, truth exalting words in Christian music today.  Perhaps some other time I can blog more about Christian Hip Hop and the glory of Christ, but for now I just want to link to a blog that has posted one of Lecrae's newest songs (this song is a little different than most hip hop songs).  Below are the lyrics to the verses.


With every breath I take, with every heart beat, sun rise or moon lights the dark street/ every glance, every dance, every note of the song/ it’s all gift undeserved that shouldn’t known/ Every day that I lie/ every moment I covet/  I’m deserving to die, I’m just earning His judgment/ Without the cross there’s only condemnation/ If Jesus wasn’t executed there’s no celebration/ so in times that are good, in times that are bad/ for any times I’ve had at all I will be glad/ and I’ll boast in the cross/ I’ll boast in my pains, I’ll boast in the son’s shine, I’ll boast in his reign/ What is my worth if it’s not praising you/ Another dollar in my bank account/ or vain pursuit/ I do not count my life as any value or precious at all/ let me finish my race/ let me answer my call/
Tomorrow’s never promised/ but it is we swear/ think we’re holding our own/ just a fist fulla air/ God has never been obligated to give us life/ if we fought for our rights we’d be in Hell tonight/ Mere sinners owed nothing but fierce hand/ we never loved him/ we pushed away his pierced hands/ I rejected his love, grace, kindness, and mercy/ dying of thirst and yet willing to die thirsty/ Eternally worthy/ how could I live for less/ Patiently you turn my heart away from selfishness/ I volunteer for your sanctifying surgery/ I know the Spirit's purging me of everything that’s hurting me/ removed the veil from my darkened eyes/ so now every morning I open your word to see sun rise/ I hope in nothing boast in nothing/ only in your suffering/ I live to show your glory/ dying to tell your story

If you are interested in something a little more upbeat check out "Don't Waste Your Life" at reach records website.

3 comments:

  1. HT: Justin Taylor http://thegospelcoalition.org/blogs/justintaylor/2010/10/07/boasting-by-lecrae/

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I finally caved in and bought some music from Lecrae, his new album is really good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Steven, this is not caving. This is finally appreciating good music. It is a good cd. I think my favorite album of his is Rebel.

    ReplyDelete