Friday, August 21, 2015

What Will You Say to Your Grandkids? On Abortion and Protesting

This Saturday, August 22nd, there will be protests outside of Planned Parenthood facilities across the nation.  There is not one scheduled for Tallahassee (though we do have a planned parenthood "clinic" which does not currently provide actual abortions - they refer people). 

I read two compelling articles from pastors planning to join in the protests in their areas. John Piper has some good thoughts on the issues here. J.A. Medders has some here. Below is the section I wanted to highlight from Medders' piece. It communicates so clearly where we are in history and challenges us to stand for the oppressed with love and courage. 

I’m going to the protest because I can’t stop thinking about Christians, especially pastors, during the Civil Rights Movement who did nothing and lament it. I refuse to do nothing. I refuse to walk on the other side of the street (Luke 10:30–33). I so admire the men who walked across that bridge with Dr. King. I admire Bonhoeffer as he opposed Hitler. I admire William Wilberforce and his resolve to end the British slave trade. When my children, my grandchildren, and future generations of Christians at our church ask what I did for the unborn, I want to look them in the eyes and say I did all I could. “I protested, I prayed, I evangelized, I spoke with politicians, I voted, I served at the pregnancy center, I loved, etc.”

Perhaps you could protest (if not this week perhaps in the future). We may not all protest, but may we all do everything we can to love women in need and the babies in their wombs. 

HT: Tim Challies

No comments:

Post a Comment