Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Responding to the "I'm Against Abortion, but I Am Pro-Choice" Argument

Last week at Bible study, RC Sproul made the point that those promoting abortion cleverly made the issue not primarily about approving abortion but about the notion of approving choice. Many will argue vehemently for 'choice' even if they do not personally think they would have an abortion.

Below is an excerpt from Scott Klusendorf's article "Why your friends are 'pro-choice' (and what to do about it)". The whole article is worth reading, but one of the most helpful portions are when he mentions a college student who said to him,
"I'm against abortion and will never have one. If one of my friends gets pregnant and wants an abortion, I will do everything I can to talk her out of it. But I don't want the government involved in taking away a woman's choice. I guess that's why I'm against abortion and am pro-choice."

Scott answered with the following:
Here's how I engaged the student at Colgate University. When she said she was personally against abortion but wanted to keep it legal, I asked a very simple question I learned from Greg Koukl: "Why are you against abortion?" When she replied, "Because it's killing, and I personally think it's wrong to do that," I asked: "What does abortion kill?" She was hesitant, but honest: "Um, I guess a human being?"
She's right. If abortion doesn't unjustly kill an innocent human being, why oppose it at all? Then, very gently, I pressed the point home. "Let me see if I understand you correctly---and if I don't, please feel free to clarify. You're personally against abortion because you think it wrongly kills a human being, but you want it to be legal to kill that human being?"
I appreciated her candid reply. "I don't know. I'm still trying to figure that out."
Notice two things I did. First, when she essentially said women have a right to choose, I asked her to complete her own sentence: Choose what? Never proceed without spelling out exactly what will be chosen! Second, once she clarified the choice in question, I asked why she thought that particular choice was wrong. That one question transformed the debate from a discussion about likes and dislikes to one about what's right and what's wrong.
Until that transformation takes place, don't be surprised if your friends are "pro-choice."

No comments:

Post a Comment