Tuesday, August 21, 2012

"Challenges to God's Providence"

Here is the last article by Dr. Moore on God's providence.  Here is an excerpt.
The major challenge to the Christian notion of providence though doesn’t come from a pipe-smoking heretic in a faculty lounge somewhere. The most dangerous sub-Christian theology of providence I can find is my own. It doesn’t show up in typed out discourses like this one. It shows up when I worry about the future–as though God does not have my future planned for me. It shows up when I’m anxious about how to pay for college educations or how to avoid my family’s genetic predisposition to heart disease or whether my church is going to do well next year. My fretfulness or my mistrust or my manipulation reveals a heart that doesn’t truly believe that God knows–or can do–what is best for me. These also reveal a heart that doesn’t yet fully get the goal of divine providence–conformity to Christ Jesus.
I hope this has been an immensely practical study of theology for you.  All theology has practical application for our lives.

Here are the others if you missed them
"Musings on God's Providence"
"The Goal of God's Providence"
"The Extent of God's Providence"
"The Mystery of God's Providence"

No comments:

Post a Comment