Thursday, May 5, 2011

Reflecting on the Sermon: 5/1/11

Rod preached from Romans 9.  He began by noting the importance of this passage for us as believers.  It deals with the question of God's faithfulness.  After describing the believer's security in his relationship with Christ (Romans 8:33 etc.), Paul addresses an issue that might be lingering in some people's minds.  "What about Israel?"  It seems as though God has rejected them.  If he rejects them, how can I be sure he will be faithful to the promises he made to me? 

In answering this question, Rod focused his time on the doctrine of the remnant.  He also pointed us ahead to Romans 11 where we see that God will fulfill his national promises to "all Israel" in the last day. 

Much more could be said, but I'll leave you with what stood out to me.  God's faithfulness to his promises to Israel (think Abrahamic Covenant) matters.  If he is unfaithful to them, then all his promises are questionable.  He is faithful and will be faithful to those promises, so I can rejoice in the character of my steadfast God who does not change in regard to his promises.

No comments:

Post a Comment